World University Service of Canada: University of Saskatchewan Local Committee

Our History

World University Service, the international parent organization of WUSC, has its origins in Europe after the First World War. Named the International Student Service (ISS) at the time, World University Service helped struggling post-secondary students make it through school. During the 1930s, ISS continued to provide material assistance to students coping with natural or man-made calamities, as well as aiding Jewish and other refugees fleeing oppression in Germany, Austria and Czechoslovakia. ISS gained a solid reputation for its study tours, seminars, work camps and conferences.

In 1939, a group of students and professors formed the first Canadian committee of ISS at the University of Toronto. In 1950, ISS changed its name to World University Service in order to reflect the involvement of the whole university community as well as a shift in the focus of relief and rehabilitation operations from Europe to the Middle East and Asia. In 1957, World University Service of Canada (WUSC) was incorporated as a non-profit, non-governmental organization. WUSC's flagship Student Refugee Program was launched in 1978 and has completed a myriad development projects in countries as diverse as Zimbabwe, Botswana, Malawi, Sierra Leone, Benin, Lesotho, Swaziland, Tunisia, Ethiopia, Sudan, China, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Peru.

More information: WUSC, WUSC: U of S.